Saturday, October 25, 2008

Already earning my pay

25OCT
Getting to Afghanistan is NO EASY TASK. I’m on the ground, but it was a long night of bus rides, checkpoints, briefs, flights, more flights, more brief and one last bus ride to get us here. And I’m sure more brief are on the way.

We left Camp Virginia in Kuwait yesterday at 12:00. I am now on the ground at the Kabul Airport and the current time is 7:40 the following morning.

The flight from Kuwait to Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan was on a C-17 (click the link for a picture: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=C-17&gbv=2 ). This is a HUGE plane and very comfortable for the 200 plus in our group. Now Kabul is only 30 MILES from Bagram, but we have to fly there as well. This 30 MILE leg of the journey took seven hours on a C-130. That’s because the Air Force has to fly from FOB (Forward Operating Base) to FOB picking up people and dropping them off along the way. Unfortunately, they made us the last stop.

While we were landing at one FOB, the Taliban welcomed us to Afghanistan by firing an RPG at our plane. The pilot had to fire his flares to deflect it and all was well. Needless to say, that was a VERY QUICK stop. We took off again within 10 minutes. I guess I’m already earning my Hazardous Duty Pay and Hostile Fire Pay.

Again, we are now on the ground in Kabul at the airport awaiting our ride to the base. All is well and I am safe.

Welcome to Afghanistan.

7 comments:

Tom Hecht said...

So am I your first stateside blogger since you arrived in Afghanistan? In typical Hecht fashion, I will ask you to please be VERY careful over there. I am not in need of any details of sightseeing information on Kabul. Please stay on the military base as much as possible.

We look forward to a personal account of your stay in Afghanistan after you've returned home.

All of our love,

Tom & Kristen

Susan said...

Glad to hear that the Taliban have horrible aim!!

Now you are where you need to be until May and life can be a litle 'normal' for us. The kids are really looking forward to seeing/hearing you on a regular basis. Try to make life there as 'homey' as can be. We sent you 2 packages already and a third is on the way!
Love,
Susan

dspindle said...

Glad you made it safe and sound. I suppose the current mission is a little bit more hazardous than forecasting the weekend weather in Tucson!

LT Dave Hecht said...

Yeah, a little more hazardous... but 10 times more fun. I know there's been big changes there, but say hi to anyone who may remember me.

Thanks for logging on Dan. Good to know you're out there!

David R said...

Dave,

Great to hear you are in theater. I remember when I first got to Baghdad, they were shooting at us a ton as well. Sounds like the AQI here have a better aim. They were hitting us a lot.

Be safe. Enjoy the beauty of Afghanistan. Let me know if you are coming through Iraq, maybe on your R&R hahaha.

Have a good one.

David R said...

Dave,

Sorry, the above message is from me. I thought it would sign my name. I know, these first time bloggers.

David R

Nora Murray said...

So glad to hear from you! I've been wondering what you're up to. Gald to see you're safe and sound. Hey, saw that you asked via our web site for my email address. Here it is: nora.murray@promedica.org. Looking foward to more blog posts ... and Hi to Susan and the kids!
~N.