Thursday, April 2, 2009

Leaving a mark



A couple months ago I had the chance to go to a local TV station and lecture to the news department on how the western media put stories together. Yesterday, I had a chance to talk before a group of Afghan public affairs professionals and offer my insights on how they can, "use the media to their advantage." That's the name of a seminar I've given several times to different PR groups back in the states.
This is a developing nation and everything here is becoming more modern, more advanced, more westernized. It's pretty cool to thing I played a VERY SMALL part in that change.

A big part in my lecture is buying your own camera and laptop editor and shooting your own stories. This way you can drop off a tape at TV stations instead of waiting for them to show up and cover your event. This gives you more control over your message and most stations will use your material if it's shot properly. The cost is only a few hundred bucks for the right gear. Next time, however, it would be nice if someone would remind me these people only make a few hundred bucks a year!!!!

No comments: