Thursday, December 4, 2008

On the run!

Just before I deployed from Memphis, I was in the best shape of my life. I was running 3-5 miles a day. My time in the Germantown Half-Marathon was 2:14 minutes and I had just completed in my third Navy SEAL Fitness Challenge. But our physical training at Fort Jackson was minimal and I spent the first month here focusing on the job. The downtime really caught up to me and I was starting to feel like a slug. So now that I have a full grasp of what I'm doing here, it's once again time to start running. I've been hitting the gym every morning for the past couple of weeks and today, I hit the road for the ISAF 10K. My time; 57:36. The race was run completely on base so no worries about suicide bombers and snipers. There was only 20 of us, but it was still a fun race. Canadian General Richard Blanchette and I finished the race side by side. My right hand man, Tech Sgt Brenda Nipper took home the woman's first place medal. While she did an outstanding job, I must admit, she was the only woman to compete.

1 comment:

Big B said...

Tell the Sgt. I said congratulations. Regardless of the gender mix in the race, if I tried to run a 1k right now, it'd still be slower than whatever her 10k time was.

Brian