Friday, February 6, 2009

Professor Hecht in Afghanistan

I had the chance last week to go to an Afghan TV station and give a lecture to the newsroom staff on how the Western media put stories together. We went over shooting, writing, editing, pacing, creative stand-ups and the importance of natural sound. I think they were really interested in the way we do things. I'm hoping to go back again in a few weeks to sit in the control room and watch their newscast.

It's very exciting to think I've had a tiny, tiny impact on the way these people see and report a story. While I don't think they're up to the standard of doing a hard hitting piece like Wildwood Willy celebrates Groundhogs Day or Bubble wrap Appreciation Day, we have to give them time. Someday, someday!


2 comments:

Susan said...

that is funny..groundhogs and bubble wrap..good one Ricky!!

Unknown said...

Too bad there aren't any bars over there. I'd like to see a sequel to Chud's... "My name ain't Abdul"