Friday, February 6, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

I'm sure for all of you, Super Bowl Sunday began around noon with burgers, beer and wings at a friends house. But for those of us diehard football fans in Afghanistan, Super Bowl "Monday" began with the alarm clock going off at 0300.

The game was broadcasted for us in Afghanistan live in the base theater. About 30 Americans braved the early morning chill to walk from our dorms to the theater to watch the game. To our surprise they had pizza, wings and softdrinks waiting for us. A pizza company from Chicago actually shipped our base 250 pizzas so we could eat the real deal during the game, not the nasty Euro pizza they serve in the chow hall.

What a game! While I HATE the Steelers and was sad to see the Cardinals lose, the game was well worth the early wake-up call. Now every year when I watch the big game, I'll always remember the Super Bowl I spent with the troops in Afghanistan.


No comments: