Friday, April 24, 2009

Navy pride takes a backseat to the Army

I love being in the United States Navy. My uniforms are dress blues, khakis or the new digital blue camies. But while I am serving here in Afghanistan, I am willing to support the Army's mission and wear the Army's uniform. But this doesn't make me a soldier. I am a Sailor in the US Navy; something I take great pride in. And I am not alone. These are the feelings of all my shipmates here in Afghanistan. WE are Sailors.

So you can imagine the pride we felt when an instruction was issued allowing all Sailors in Afghanistan to wear the "Don't Tread on Me" flag on our Army uniforms. This flag has great significance in Naval history tracing back to our earliest days. It allowed us Sailors to demonstrate a little Navy pride while donating our time in Army green. However, the Army doesn't agree.

While soldiers here are allowed to wear no less than four patches on their uniforms from current and present commands, they have now denied the Navy from wearing the flag. It may sound petty, it's just a patch you might be thinking. But this patch makes a proud statement that we are in the Navy and have step away from OUR mission to support theirs. It proudly identifies us and our history. Many of my shipmates, myself included, are not happy about this.

I'm hoping our senior leadership are looking into this issue and back us on wearing of this important form of Navy identification. WE are Sailors, not soldiers.

No comments: