Friday, April 17, 2009

A visit from "home"


Since I've been here we've been visited by dozens of VIPs. Last week, we got a visit from a US senator, which is nothing unusual. But this senator knew me.

Sen. Jon Kyl (R) of Arizona recently paid a visit to the ISAF Headquarters here in Kabul. He was here to visit Gen. McKiernan and get a firsthand update on the war effort. I've interviewed Sen. Kyl a dozen times while working in Yuma and Tucson so I was hoping to see him in hopes he's remember me. I prepositioned myself outside his meeting and when the door opened I stepped forward. I introduced myself but before I could finish, the sentor had a big smile on his face and said, "of course I remember you Dave." Perhaps he was just being nice, but I honestly believed him.

We talked for a couple minutes and I ended the conversation by asking him to call my parents when he returns to Arizona just to say he saw me and I'm doing fine. Sure enough, less than a week later, Sen. Jon Kyl called my parents. To say the very least, they were very proud.

Senator Kyl, if I ever move back to Arizona, you don't just have my vote... I'd be proud to work on your campaign! Thank you.


No comments: