Friday, December 26, 2008

A Christmas Thank you!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Despite being a planet apart, the Hecht family managed to make this a very Merry Christmas. My wife did a fantastic job decorating the house and filling our home with an overflow of presents and joy. The new toys should keep the kids busy until I return home in May.
I want to thank a couple of patriots who stepped up to the bat and supported my family this holiday.

Lieutenant Commander John Bernard put on my red suit and was my substitute Santa on Christmas Eve. Without John filling in for me, an important family tradition would have been absent, leaving a gap in our memories of these most precious years in the lives of our children. John, thank you for not only being our Santa, but for Santa telling my son, “I’m very proud of your Daddy.”
Bryan Mitchell was on the receiving end of two huge boxes from Target and assembled my kid’s big Christmas surprise; a pair of battery powered four wheelers. Bryan put in numerous hours on this while also trying to coordinate Christmas for his own family. On Christmas morning, he not only delivered them to our front door, but he then also offered to fix our broken fence. To top things off, he wants to buy me a steak dinner for my service to our country. Bryan, I’m the one who owes you a big juicy steak dinner!
I guess I should also thank my mother-in-law for keeping my wife sane throughout this holiday. Thanks Mom!

Lastly, I want to thank Al Gore for inventing the Internet. Also a big thank you to the person behind Skype. On Christmas morning I was able to watch the kids open every present and they watched me as I opened mine. I heard every “owwwww” and “aweeeee.” It was just like being there… minus the fruitcake, the in-laws and the mess to clean up.

Thanks everyone!!!

No comments: