Thursday, December 18, 2008

What I want for Christmas

I have received dozens of e-mails from family and friends asking me what I want for Christmas. To be honest, I don't need anything. I have everything I could need here and anything you send me I'll just have to carry home. I already have four sea bags full of Army issued equipment and I don't need anymore stuff! And while I don't need anything, there is something I would like for everyone to send me.

Christmas is a time of giving, an important lesson Fisher-Price, Apple, GAP and Tiffany's have confused over the years. I'm talking about real, unconditional from the soul giving. The type of giving to help someone less fortunite just because it's the right thing to do. This is a lesson each and everyone of our children needs to be reminded of during this holiday season. How?

Please explain to your child that children in an Afghanistan hospital really need their help. The hospital is so poor, doctors have to REUSE bandages and dressings and since they can afford bed nets in the burn unit, flies contaminate the children's injuries. Anti-biotic cream is also in short supply.

Let your child take the lead and send me a care package that I can deliver to the Indira Ghandi Children's Hospital here in Kabul. Again, bandages, dressing, bed nets and anti-biotic cream would be great. That's what I want for Christmas.

Please don't ignore this request expecting the next guy to step forward. If you're getting this e-mail, than this is a request from me to you.

My address is:
Dave Hecht
US NSE (PAO)
HQ ISAF
APO AE 09356

Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you know who might want to help this cause. I have no problem getting boxes from complete strangers.

Thnk you everyone. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.