Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bureaucracy is how NOT to win a war

Since the day I got here one of my goals was to get ISAF to purchase equipment for my teams. Currently, my guys are using their own equipment to get the job done and being in a combat environment in a dusty, dirty country, their equipment is taking a real beating.

I put together a list of gear and submitted it through our Public Affairs requisition person. I have checked on it numerous times and been told over and over again, “it’s in the process.” Today was the last straw as I wanted to know where this purchase currently stands! And just as I feared, it’s gone nowhere fast.

The purchasing office had an old e-mail address for the former requisition person so the month old message saying, "additional paperwork is required" never made it into the right hands. To make matters worse, they say once the paperwork is received, it will take 6-months for the purchase order to go through. Hell, the war will be over by then.

I just want to beat my head against a tree.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just wait until you get back to the states. The "stimulus" bill will bring that kind of government efficiency to the formerly public sector, too!

What kind of gear are you using?