Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Heaven on Earth



For the first time in five months, I spent an entire day without putting on my uniform. If this doesn't sound like that big of a deal to you, try wearing the same cloths for just one week.

I'm here in Qatar and this place is the closest thing to paradise I can imagine outside of being home with my family. The food is even better than Bagram, the weather is like Phoenix in the spring, and they have lots of fun tours you can take.

All of that is wonderful and I plan to partake, but today I only wanted one thing. I haven't had a long, hot bath since the day I left Memphis and that was my only goal. To my heartbreak, there's no bathtubs to be found here... but they do have a hot tub.
After two hours in the hot tub, life is once again good. The stress has melted away. I could easily go back to Kabul tomorrow a very happy man. You'd have to take me kicking and screaming, but I could go back happy.
Tomorrow we're doing the inland sea picnic. Tour guids will take us in SUVs through the sand dunes to an inland cove whre the Persian Gulf and the Qatari desert meet. There we'll have a picnic in big Arabian tents eating traditional food.

Life is an adventure. Drink it up.

No comments: