Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Only in the military



Only in the military will you need 10 days to take a four day vacation. Hello and thank you for flying Afghan Airlines!

I have been here at Bagram Air Force Base for two days waiting to catch a flight to Qatar. Trust me, I'm not complaining. Until my flight takes off, I'm just hanging out here at the Pat Tillman USO. I've got a spot on a comfy futon in front of a giant plasma screen and an endless supply of great movies. Okay, not every movie has been great. I really wanted to slap the guy who put in Larry the Cable Guy in "Witless Protection." I must have been witness to actually watch that piece of crap film.

Just down the street is the dining facility and the food here is 1,000 times better than at the headquarters. If I'm not in the mood for what they're serving in the DFAC, I can eat at the Subway or Burger King. These people have it soooo easy. I've heard a couple people complain about serving here and like the guy who put on Witless Protection, I wanted to slap them too. They have no idea how crappy we have it back at the headquarters. I'd trade with them in a heartbeat.

I've run into two people from ISAF who are also going on R&R; TSgt Connie "Ski" Czerwinski and Seaman Matt Jeffrey. We're having a good time kicking back, relaxing, watching movies and eating good food. If I had to stay here for my R&R, I'd have no problems with that. No, wait a minute... they have beer in Qatar. I guess I'll still catch that flight afterall.

Okay, the next movie is on... gotta go now.

No comments: