Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hello from Kuwait

It was a long night, we didn’t take off until late and now it’s only later. You’d think as soon as we landed they would get us to our tents for some shuteye, but that’s not how they do business here. Before we could go to bed, we had to turn in our body armor and be processed into the country. It wasn’t until 0330 before my head hit the pillow and I have to be at another out-processing brief at 0700. What’s the point of sleeping? I’m in a tent with a dozen other guys (top bunk, my favorite) on a mattress covered in plastic. The bed wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t 100 degrees here. My body keeps sticking to this thing. I’m not unpacking my sheets for a couple hours of sleep.

Okay, it’s now several hours later and I’m at the Kuwait Airport. The highlight of the time between the out-processing brief and here was US Navy Customs. Before we can leave, we had to dump EVERYTHING out of our bags to be searched. When I go home for good, I’ll make sure not to pack so nicely. Surprisingly, the agent let me keep my plastic pirate pistol I got Charlie for Disney World.

Tonight we’ll fly from Kuwait to Shannon, Ireland. After a short layover it’s onto Atlanta then Memphis. That’s when the 18-day clock begins to tick.

No comments: