Monday, March 23, 2009

From one side of the planet to the other!


For the past six months I have been planning to return to my old job in Tennessee when my mission here is complete. Let’s just say Navy life is NOT short on surprises. But the surprise I just got turns out to be a good one, a very good one.

I received a call last week asking me if I would be interested in a position as the public affairs officer for the USS George Washington based in Japan. There is no US aircraft carrier with more international press focused on it than “GW.” GW just arrived in Japan a few months ago and this is the first nuclear powered carrier to be stationed there. I consider this opportunity a massive honor and I’m blown away by the confidence my peers have placed in me. To all those involved in the detailing process, THANK YOU!

I talked it over with my wife and it didn’t take long for the Hecht family to say “YES” to this next assignment.

I will return home from Afghanistan in May as scheduled. We’ll enjoy a fun summer and then in August, we’re off to the Land of the Rising Sun. The tour aboard GW will be for two years. After that, we're hoping to return to Tennessee. My family is very excited about this big change in our lives and I hope you'll join us in our enthusiasm.

Sayonara!

No comments: