Monday, March 23, 2009

The list

It was six months ago yesterday that I left my family. In retrospect, time has moved pretty fast and much of the credit for that goes to my wife and children who have kept my spirits up with their care packages and long conversations on Skype. It’s the time I have left in front of me that seems to be moving at a snail's pace. To help kill some time, I spent much of this Sunday building a list of things I have not done in six months. As I am a faithful husband, I’ll leave the obvious off.

In six months I haven’t:
- Taken a shower without shower shoes
- Had a drink that contained ice
- Driven a car or (yipeee) paid for gas
- Listened to the radio
- Gone to the movies
- Slept in a room without at least one other grown man
- Eaten good food
- Done my own laundry
- Worn anything other than a uniform or workout cloths
- Gone a day without carrying a gun (luckily never had to use it)
- Seen grass or a single flower
- Gone a day without see an Afghan digging a hole on this base
- Recycled a damm thing
- Been in a “western standard” clean bathroom

The list could go on and on, but it will only make me that much more homesick. 35 day to go!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: