Friday, March 27, 2009

A front row seat to history





The life of a Public Affairs Officer gives me a front row seat to watch history in the making and yesterday was one of those exciting days which makes serving here in Afghanistan bearable. I caught a ride on a Blackhawk with a dozen media to cover the graduation of the first class of the Afghan Public Protection Force. This is a brand new program so I got to see the first 250 young men swear an oath to serve the people of Afghanistan and receive a certificate of completion. They’re not police officers nor are they members of the military. This program is basically an armed neighborhood watch. If they see insurgents doing bad things, it’s their job to call in the authorities. This first class came from Wardak Province and they’ll return to Wardak Province; they won’t be deployed to other regions of the country. It was actually very exciting to see such enthusiasm and devotion to their country displayed by the graduates.

As you can see from my pictures, Gen. McKiernan was on hand and offered encouragement to the graduating class. "I applaud the courage of these men to step forward in representing the community; but they know that if they run into problems, they can call the Afghan National Police, Afghan National Army or international forces that are out there. So they're not on their own," he said.

I enjoyed hanging out with the media including Conor Powell, a freelance reporter for FOX News. I’m envious of this young guy. It was nearly 20 years ago Walter Cronkite told me if you want to be a reporter kid, buy a camera and go where the stories are, don’t bother with the local affiliates. I didn't listen and look how my career ended. But that’s what Connor did and he’s making a real name for himself. I’m envious… but I’m still trilled how my story is going.

If you're interested in seeing some of the video I shot at the graduation, click here: http://www.dvidshub.net/r/7w5v3h

1 comment:

jenniferk said...

Keep up the faith, I am glad that a Hecht(or two) is keeping us safe. Be careful and hope to see you soon! Thanks for your service, making America even greater.